Seen someone with bandless braces and are wondering just what they are, how they work and how much they cost? Then you’ve come to the right place! Dental braces without rubber bands – also commonly known as self-ligating braces or damon braces – are shooting up in popularity (due to being less noticeable and easier to manage) and today we’re going to be taking a look at them and answering the most asked questions. Let’s begin!
What are Braces Without Bands?
Unlike the conventional metal dental braces you have seen, braces without bands bypass the rubber bands entirely and use “self-ligating” braces, making them less noticeable, easier to clean and more comfortable to use. With these braces, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of regular braces but with an added touch of comfort and more subtle looks. The best part? Their average cost is, in most cases, the same as regular braces (as we’ll see below).
How do Braces Without Bands Work?
Braces are mostly used as a correctional measure to re-align crooked teeth by properly positioning them in the gum. An individual is most likely to wear braces within a time frame of 6-24 months subject to their orthodontic treatment. The continuous exertion of pressure on the teeth is meant to correct the outlook of the dental cavity after some time, which will eventually change the teeth and bone position.
Advantages of Braces without Bands
These dental devices have several advantages including:
- Easy to clean – with their movable clip that helps keep the wire in place, cleaning these devices is easy
- Better hygiene – since fewer food particles are getting stuck on the braces, you are of fresh breath at all time
- Subtler looks – no rubber bands means that the braces are less noticeable
- Great comfort – with their smooth edges, these devices are smooth and comfortable to the mouth.
- Easy to remove – once you are done with your dental visits; which will be lesser compared to the traditional braces, these devices are easy to remove
- Faster results – they’re closer to the teeth, making them perform faster than usual
Braces without bands are also less susceptible to discoloring and thus it’ll take much more time before your enamel starts to become discolored.
Drawbacks of Braces without Bands
Despite their unnoticeable nature and greater comfort, braces without bands have a few shortcomings.
- Cost – although they’re usually available at the same price as regular metal braces, some orthodontists can charge a bit higher due to the different process
- Unavailability – some orthodontists don’t have them readily available, which can mean you have to travel further to get them
Cost of Fitting Braces without Bands
As mentioned previously, although braces without bands can be a bit costlier than the regular metal ones, they’re usually available at a very similar price.
For comparison, regular metal ones cost around $2,500 to $7,500 while braces without bands usually go for $2,500 to $8,000.
Thanks to the aid of these bandless braces, you can get all the benefits of the classic with a subtler look – and all at nearly the same price. Keep in mind that self-ligating braces also work faster and are more comfortable than the regular ones which are huge advantages.
As always, we highly recommend that you consult with your dentist to find out which braces are best for you. Thanks for reading!